top of page

Helpful Tips

Helping you secure a job and advice for moving to Australia

Full License - C class:

This is required on just about all mine sites.

Able to drive manual:

Mine sites require you to drive manual, it is not a deal-breaker, but they will expect you to learn once started. Even if you have minimal manual driving experience this would still be helpful.

First aid certificate:

Most mining companies request you have your first-aid certificate. If you don't have it, don't stress! Some companies will pay for you to get it.

Pass a drug and alcohol test:

To enter a mine site, you must be fit for work, this includes passing a drug and alcohol test.

Pre-employment medical test:

You will be required to pass a medical/fitness test before commencing work. It is a basic test which mostly checks your hearing, eyesight, ling capacity. It also checks you can maintain a relative fitness level, for example, a constant walk for 6 minutes. It can sound daunting but it is easy to pass.

4x4/off-roading driving experience:

Not necessary but looks good on the CV. Companies will also provide training.

Machinery or farming experience:

Not necessary but looks good on the CV.

Capable of working in remote areas:

Not necessary but looks good on the CV. Being comfortable working in remote areas such as the Australian outback and a range of different climates is useful.

Relocation package:

Some companies may offer a relocation package that can come in a lump sum or financial help with airfares and accommodation. However, relocation packages are sometimes reserved for those with more experience or expertise. But we would encourage anyone to discuss possible options.

Applying from overseas and not getting posistive feedback:

Applying from overseas and not getting positive feedback: If you have sent your CV to multiple companies and applied for various jobs without much luck, please don't be disheartened. This has happened to many people, particularly those in entry-level positions. Firstly, check your CV is to a good standard and well presented, sometimes it helps to someone to look over it. If it continues to happen, your best bet could be to go to Western Australia. This may seem daunting, but you will have a far higher success rate. Think about this from the company’s perspective. They are taking a risk by employing some who is still based overseas.

When you arrive in Australia:

When you get to Australia

Below are the key steps that will hopefully make the moving process easier:

  • Apply for a Tax File Number (TFN)

  • Open a bank account

  • Apply for a national police clearance

  • Apply for a medicare card

  • Switch over your driver's license

It may seem complicated, but most can be done online and are straightforward processes. We are always here to help as well!

Getting settled in

Finding a place to live

Finding a place to live can be a little tricky as there is currently a rental shortage in WA and most of Australia. If a company employs you from New Zealand, ask about a relocation package. Some companies may provide a rental property for the first month of stay or give you a relocation bonus that can be used for accommodation purposes in the first few months. Each town generally has a rental Facebook page, which a lot of people use to find houses or housemates.

Join a social club

There are often excellent ex-pat communities in many of the mining towns. If you are willing to put yourself out there, you will quickly make friends who will become your family away from home. One of the best ways to meet people outside of work is joining a local sports team.

Set a financial plan!

Not everyone needs this, but the mining salary is addictive and can lead to bad decisions with your money. Meet with a financial advisor and set yourself some goals. You will often hear stories of those who went into the mining, started earning good money, quickly spent it all, and had next to nothing in their bank account after three years.

bottom of page